The “nanny tax” must be paid for more than just nannies

July 25, 2019

You may have heard of the “nanny tax.” But even if you don’t employ a nanny, it may apply to you. Hiring a housekeeper or other household employee (who isn’t an independent contractor) may make you liable for federal income tax, Social Security and Medicare (FICA) tax and federal unemployment tax. You may also have state tax obligations. In 2019, you must withhold and pay FICA taxes if your worker earns cash wages of $2,100 or more. You pay household worker obligations by increasing your quarterly estimated tax payments or increasing withholding from wages, rather than making a lump-sum payment. Employment taxes are then reported on your tax return. Contact us for assistance 508-679-5259.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

The Transportation Deduction is another example of how simple structuring changes can maintain deductions removed by the 2017 tax act, formerly “the T...

New tax law hits commuter benefits....

January 3, 2018

Please reload

Recent Posts